While traveling on business to Toronto a few weeks back I discovered this amazing show--American Ninja Warrior. Suffice it to say, I was hooked and decided to make it my goal to attempt it next year. I actually have been an avid runner for about 5 years now and have been TRX training for about 2 years.
Even while being on the road and working 60+ hour weeks, I honestly believe with a bit more training (ok, significantly more training) that I can physically compete. Here's my plan.
- Increase my training from once a day to twice a day.
- Adopt a "clean eating" routine.
- Eliminate alcohol.
- Avoid eating out like the plague.
- Favor veggies, lean protein and reduce my starch intake.
- In general, make healthy decisions.
- Hydration, hydration, hydration!
- Approach this endeavor with the same passion and dedication I give to my career.
- Increase TRX training from twice a week to 5 times a week.
- Increase my runs, typically 4-5 runs per week, from 3 miles to 7+ miles.
- Incorporate one extra day for speed workouts (1 mile in 6 minutes).
- Incorporate lots of training on the monkey bars. I have been doing this for about 3 weeks. (However, I don't remember getting blisters as a kid.)
- Take a parkour class twice a month. There's one in my area.
- Join a bouldering gym.
This has never been a problem. This is where my OCD comes in handy.
- Weight: 175 lbs.
- Height: 5'6" (I am a Hobbit)
- Other metrics: Pending
Running: 7.5 mi in 59:47 (7.0 - 8.0 - 7.0 mph, repeat). Treadmill at the Training Center at the Courtyard Marriott.
- Post Running Workout
- 50 crunches
- One-arm side-laps in plank position off bench.
- Plank position off 10 lbs. dumbbells with 1-arm raises
- SpiderMan pushups off bench
- TRX reverse push off tree
- Pullups off tree
- TRX Y's
- Laps in the pool - 30 mins